Friday, October 1, 2010

Five Year Anniversary

Today is our five year anniversary. We got married when we were 22 years old so we went straight from college to Brazil to being married. It is unreal to think that we have been married for five years. I love to think about how we have grown in our marriage, friendship, hobbies and activities that we love to do together, and now raising a sweet baby girl.

The first day I met Barry was in September of 2002. It was the week of Fraternity Recruitment at UNA and I was on the ATO Sweetheart court....so of course I was at ATO house. I really do remember thinking "He is so handsome"....the terrible part was I dating another ATO brother at the time. (Needless to say we broke up a few weeks later due to major issues in our relationship!!)

Back to Barry and I...within the few weeks after my breakup we were hanging out everyday! We literally became instant best friends and did this for over a year. We were each other's dates to all of our fraternity and sorority functions, UNA banquets, and anything else we attended!! It was so much fun! I can honestly say after trying to go to different colleges thinking that was what I wanted.....God sent me to UNA on a Soccer/Leadership scholarship....to meet my future husband and I will be blessed the rest of my life because of it.

Now to how he proposed.....
On April 28, 2005, Barry sent me on a video scavenger hunt (with the help of Emry) that started at UNA's campus, went to McFarland Park, then Spring Park, and finally Highland Baptist Church (these were all special places to us). The funny part about this was that I thought he was doing this scavenger hunt as a Graduation present (since I graduated May 14th). At each spot a set of our friends were there to show me a video from him and give me a gift. The girlfriend at each location got in the car with Emry and I to go to the next spot. When Emry walked me up to the steps of the church, the final scavenger hunt location, I had no idea.....that he was about to ask me to be his wife. Emry gave me a really big hug and told me to walk-in. Only the stage in the large sanctuary was lit and the screen told me to sit in the middle front row. After he proposed by singing "Marry Me".....he had a Surprise Engagement Party planned back at my apartment. A lot of our friends and family were there to celebrate with us. He had the cake (shown below) made for the party....so cute!


I can remember that day and my wedding day like they just happened.


I am blessed beyond measure.






1 comment: